Understanding RCT in Nepal: Everything you want to know about the root canal treatment procedure in Nepal
When it comes to dental procedures, the term RCT ( Root Canal Treatment) often sparks fear and anxiety among many patients. This blog post is here to give you a detailed idea about what a root canal treatment entails, its benefits along with the price at our clinic.
At Dent Inn, we believe in first educating our patients about the truth behind the root canal treatments. Contrary to common misconceptions, root canal treatments are a crucial dental procedure that relieve life long pain caused by severe tooth infections. Dent Inn is one of the best root canal center in Kathmandu with skilled team of dentists that are dedicated to making the experience as comfortable as possible by using the latest advanced technologies maintaining dental hygiene.
If you suspect you might need a root canal or have any dental issues, don’t hesitate to reach out to us at Dent Inn Kathmandu for a consultation. Please schedule appointments on the given contact number provided. We accept walk-ins too.
What is Root Canal Treatment?
A root canal treatment, also known as Endodontic therapy, is a dental procedure performed to repair a severely infected or damaged tooth. Sometimes bacteria enters the pulp of a tooth and causes an infection. When this occurs root canal therapy is necessary to save the tooth. The procedure involves removing the infected or inflamed pulp, which is the soft tissue inside the tooth that contains nerves and connective tissues. Once the infected pulp is removed, the tooth’s interior is carefully cleaned, disinfected and sealed, preventing any further infection and preserving the tooth’s structure.
When does teeth require RCT treatment
Several signs indicate that you might need to undergo RCTs are:
- Persistent tooth pain: If you are experiencing continuous, throbbing tooth pain, especially when chewing or applying pressure, it could indicate an infected pulp. Discomfort may radiate to jaws, face or other adjacent teeth.
- Sensitivity: Heightened sensitivity to hot or cold temperature, even after the stimuli are removed, might signal a need for a root canal.
- Swollen Gums:inflamed, tender or swollen gums around the affected tooth could be a sign of an infection
- Discoloration of teeth: When the pulp of the tooth becomes infected, it can cause the tooth to look darker. This occurs because of poor blood supply to the tooth.
- Pus Formation: the presence of pus or a pimple-like bump on the gums may suggest an infection at the root of the tooth.
- Swollen jaw: Sometimes pus doesn’t drain from the site. As a result, your jaw may become visibly swollen.
- Pain when pressure is applied: If you have pain while eating or touching the tooth, it could mean the nerves around the pulp can be infected.
- A chipped or cracked tooth: If you have cracked a tooth in an accident while playing sports or even by biting down on something hard, bacteria can reach all the way into the tooth pulp.
- Loose tooth:An infected tooth may feel looser. This is because the pus from the infected pulp can soften the bone that supports the tooth
If you notice any of these symptoms, take an appointment and visit our clinic promptly for thorough examination./p>
How does the tooth become infected/damaged?
Several factors affect tooth infection causing pain. Some of the common factors are deep tooth decay, severe attrition, cracks in the tooth, trauma to the tooth, dislodged large filings.
Benefits of Root Canal Treatments in Nepal
- Pain Relief: By removing the infected pulp and treating the underlying infection, root canals provide relief from severe toothache.
- Preservation of Natural Teeth: Instead of resorting to tooth extraction, root canal treatments allow us to save your natural tooth, preventing the need for the tooth replacement options.
- Restored Functionality: After the procedure, your tooth’s functionality will be fully restored, allowing you to chew and speak comfortably.
- Aesthetics: With the infection cleared and the tooth preserved, your smile remains intact, boosting your confidence and self-esteem.
How Dent Inn prepares for the RCT treatments
- Take all the medications as prescribed: you may be given antibiotics or anti-inflammatory medications a few days before your appointment,especially if there is a lot of infection present.
- No smoking: Tobacco products interfere with your body’s ability to heal itself. Avoid smoking several days before your root canal appointment and stop altogether if possible.
- Eat a healthy meal: Since the local anesthesia used during root canal therapy will make your mouth numb for a few hours, it’s a good idea to eat before your appointment.
Procedure details of Root Canal Treatment
- Comprehensive Examination: Our experienced dentists will conduct a thorough examination, including X-rays, to assess the extent of the infection and determine if a root canal is necessary.
- Local Anesthesia: Before beginning the procedure, the area around the affected tooth and the surrounding gums will be numbed using local anesthesia. If you prefer then we could also provide some extra medications such as oral sedatives or intravenous(IV) sedation to help you relax and have comfortable treatment.
- Dental dam placement: before beginning root canal treatment, a small rubber dam is placed over the area. This isolates the tooth and keeps it dry during the procedure.
- Access hole: Next, a small opening is made in the crown of the tooth to access the pulp.
- Pulp removal: Once the tooth is numb, the infected pulp will be carefully removed using specialized dental tools.
- Shaping the canals: After the removal of infected pulp, the pulp chamber and root canals are cleaned, disinfected and shaped.
- Cleaning and disinfection: The interior of the tooth will be sealed with a bio compatible dental material, typically gutta-percha, to prevent further infection.
- Placing the final restoration: In most cases, dental crowns may be recommended to restore the tooth’s strength and protect it from future damage. Crowns are custom- made and fabrication usually takes two to three weeks. Crowns can be metal or ceramic made depending upon the position of the tooth. When your crown is ready, the temporary filling is removed and the permanent crown is placed.
What are the alternatives to Root Canal Treatment at Dent Inn
The only alternative to RCT is tooth extraction or removal. Even though it’s best to save natural teeth whenever possible, extraction may be necessary to preserve your oral health. If you have dental anxiety or you have a doubt of having RCT then the tooth can be extracted and replaced with a dental impact, dental bridge or partial.
Aftercare and recovery
A root canal treatment (RCT) usually is done when a person has severe pain due to tooth decay, reaching the pulp (nerve and blood vessel) or an infection due to the dead tooth.
With advance in modern dentistry an efficient, reliable root canal treatment can be done by a trained general dental practitioner. The latest technologies, materials and equipment used to do a root canal treatment are readily available in Nepal today. More complex cases are always referred to an Endodontist.
Under local anesthesia a root canal treatment can be completed with minimal or absolutely no pain at all. Many people are afraid they will have tooth pain while and after root canal treatments. any little pain in between appointments can be handled by off the counter pain killers.
Root canals are considered safe and effective. This procedure boasts impressive success rates of up to 98%.
Root canal treatments procedure requires more than one dental visit. Patients with an infected pulp and presence of pus require more dental visits. Usually it takes 3-4 visits while undergoing RCT treatment. Sometimes RCT is done in a single visit if there is no any symptomatic pain or pus discharge.
RCT is a painless procedure. Once the root canal is opened, the pain is relieved. Pain might occur during the root canal procedure but can be relieved by a local anesthesia.
Typically, root canal recovering time lasts less than a week. Mild discomfort may be present for a few days , but this can be managed with medication. If you have severe pain or discomfort that lasts longer than a week, contact Dent Inn.
Yes. However, it’s best to wait until the numbness wears off. The effects of the anesthesia usually last a few hours. Stick with softer foods like pastas, mashed potatoes and yogurts for the first couple of days. Introduce solid food as your comfort level improves. Try to chew on the other side of your mouth until your permanent dental restoration is in place.
It depends. If you had local anesthesia or nitrous oxide during your procedure, then you can drive yourself to and from your appointment. People who choose oral sedation or IV sedation will need a friend or family member to drive them.
It isn’t recommended. Smoking interferes with healing and increases the likelihood that you’ll need more dental work in the future.
Most of the time, people who have had root canal therapy can go back to work or school the next day. However, if you’ve had sedation during your dental procedure, you may need an extra day or two to fully recover.
As with all dental procedures, results are not guaranteed. However, when root canal therapy is performed correctly, results can last a long time even the rest of your life.
Yes, a child teeth can sometimes require root canal treatment (RCT), although it’s relatively less common compared to adults. Children have primary (baby) teeth, which eventually fall out to make way for permanent teeth. These primary teeth play a crucial role in the child’s oral development, including proper speech, chewing, and guiding the growth of permanent teeth.
Since root canal treated tooth are devoid of blood supply and is basically a dead tooth, they tend to fracture if bitten on anything hard. The dentist can recommend you a crown, on lay or overlay to protect the tooth from breaking. In Nepal mainly due to the type of food we eat chances of tooth breaking are high. If the fracture splits the tooth in half then it cannot be saved so a protection for an root canal treated tooth is important.
Metal have been traditionally used in dentistry for various applications, including dental crowns and tooth filling. In root canal treatments, metal crowns are especially used for molars and teeth that endure significant chewing forces. These crowns can be made from different materials, including various metals such as gold, silver and alloys.
Ceramic materials have gained popularity in modern dentistry due to their natural appearance and bio compatibility. In the context of root canal treatments, ceramic dental crowns are used to restore the appearance and function of a tooth after the procedure. Ceramic crowns can be matched to the color and translucency of natural teeth, making them an excellent choice for front teeth or other visible areas of the mouth. They offer an aesthetic solution while maintaining the tooth’s functionality.
To get an accurate estimate price for a root canal treatments in any dental clinic in Nepal, it’s first recommended to schedule a consultant oral. The dentist will then evaluate your specific case, provide a personalized treatment plan, and discuss the associated costs with you. On average, the cost of a root canal treatment in Nepal can range from NPR 5,000 to NPR 15,000 or more per tooth except the crown.